Instructions for the
BIG DAM BRIDGE WALK
1. Go to bed early and get a good night’s sleep.
2. Get up early so you won’t be late to meet on the North Little Rock Side of the Bridge. Directions will be at the end of this document.
3. Be sure to take your medicine. We don’t want any medical emergencies on the walk.
4. Don’t forget your “puffer”! The grade going up is not bad but does require some “huffing and puffing”!
5. Sun Block is a must – Remember this is Arkansas and July!
6. A good hat with a visor will help keep the sun off.
7. Don’t forget your sunglasses!
8. The leaders will have water for you. It is very important to stay hydrated!
9. A good pair of walking shoes and socks.
10. It helps to have a good partner to walk with.
11. There are places to rest on the way up the ramp to the top, on the top and on the way down.
12. The view of Pinnacle is beautiful at the top of the bridge!
13. Downstream has a panoramic view too!
14. Susan keeping herself hydrated and enjoying the view.
15. A view of the Lock from the bridge.
16. Bunny enjoying the view.
17. Susan giving a “Thumbs Up” for the flags and the END OF THE HALF WAY POINT!
18. Historical data and information about the “big dam bridge”.
19. View of the bridge from the North Little Rock side.
20. View of the car park on the North Little Rock Side showing ample parking that is available.
21. Picture of the “Restroom Facilities” on the North Little Rock side.
22. Covered shelter with water fountain and benches on the North Little Rock side.
The “Test Walk” took Susan and Bunny 20 leisurely minutes each way so we want to allot an hour and a half for the walk which will allow ample time to talk and enjoy the view.
To get to the North Little Rock side of the bridge, which is where we will start, take the I-430 Bridge to exit 12 (the first exit on the north side of the river after crossing the bridge) and turn right. Go to the traffic light and turn right again. Go to the first street to the right and turn right again and follow that road until you see the dam in front of you. At that point turn left and find yourself a good parking place and we will meet at the covered area at the base of the bridge at 7:00 A.M.